Monday, February 11, 2013

BBQ Chicken Wings


When we were home over Christmas Julie Clark had made some AMAZING BBQ chicken wings... I asked her for the recipe awhile back, bought chicken wings and froze them about three weeks ago, and today finally decided to TRY to make them. 

I've never made chicken wings before. I knew if it was anything like my rotisserie chicken experience, it wouldn't be good. However, Brent loves wings, I've enjoyed wings during pregnancy and if they turned out similar to Julie's, they were worth a try. 

So... this afternoon I took the wings out of the freezer... Who knew wings had three parts! Oh BOY! To Youtube.com I went to figure out how to even prepare chicken wings. Thankfully, they were a big help. I found out how and where to cut the chicken wings apart, what to keep and what to get rid of, and some other helpful tips. I must say I didn't really enjoy CUTTING through bones, but I tried to think about other things as I did it.... All trimmed up it was ready to get going. 

I mixed Julie's recipe with another recipe I had found together to hopefully create something great. 

First step, and what Julie thinks might "make" the wings as good as they are-- Marinate in beer. I did so for about 4 hours in the fridge. 

Next, on a olive oiled drizzled pan place pieces of chicken in pan and broil one side for ten minutes then flip and boil ten more minutes. 

In the meantime create your BBQ mixture in a small bowl. I used: 
1 1/2 Cups BBQ Sauce
1/4 Cup Honey
2 Tbls. Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbls. Mustard

When wings are done broiling and are a little brown on both sides place them into the crockpot. Try to avoid bringing the extra liquid of fat and oil with by scooping them with a slatted spoon or tongs. Dump sauce mixture over top and cook on high for 2 hours or low for maybe about 4 hours? I stirred maybe once an hour. 

I was a little nervous about trying them out since I've seen the whole process of preparing, cooking, eating.... but I'm glad I tried them because they did turn out pretty good! Even Brent liked them!! He gave them a 5/5!!! Which is a RARE occasion in our house! Whoohoo! Keeper Recipe. 

Laura Ann, Are you so proud???
Thanks again Julie for the recipe and exposing us to these amazing wings of yours!!! 

4 comments:

Laura Ann said...

So impressed!!! I went to check out the new look of the blog and saw a picture of wings, I was like wait? Whose blog am I on???? :) Love ya!

The Olson's said...

You are too funny! I thought you would be impressed.

christa said...

oooh - thanks for the recipe. i might try that this weekend. hal LOVES, LOVES, LOVES wings and is always wanting me to make them. i've never tried because -- well, seriously, Buffalo Wild Wings is not that far away!! haha. but BBQ is his favorite and this doesn't look too difficult. so thanks for the inspiration!! (and thanks Julie!)

oh yah - love the new look too!!

The Olson's said...

Christa, thanks! And yes, the recipe is super easy!! If you don't mind trimming wings. ;) I would be SOLD on BWW every time if one was close.