Friday, March 1, 2013

DIY Sign

My friend Laura had pinned this project to her pinterest board and I fell in love! I contacted her about getting together and creating our own! Yesterday, we took a trip to Home Depot to get supplies and we were off. 

1. I bought spray paint for the base, a $3 sample size of grey paint for the lines, and another $3 sample size of Navy Blue paint for "LOVE". I was able to buy a large board and had it cut into four 24x12 inch pieces for $6. I used a little sponge brush for my lines and a little paint brush for LOVE. Overall, it was a pretty inexpensive project. I have lots of left over paint and three extra boards for future projects. 

2. It's recommended to tape your chevron lines after your base coat dries. Me, being the girl who doesn't follow patterns for any crafts decided to freehand it. I think I did alright. One thing I loved about this piece was it's imperfection. 

This was the inspiration piece we were trying to create. 

3. I have two layers of spray paint in the white for the background. It probably could have used another but again, the imperfection is what I like. 

4. Now start your lines. Taped or not taped. Laura decided to tape hers and then was able to just re-spraypaint her board and take the tape off after the second color of spray paint dried. So it's probably easier that way, but the taping can be time consuming. 

5. How it's time for the WORD. This was the scariest part for me because this could ruin the whole thing. I took a pencil and wrote the word lightly first so I could get the proper spacing between the letters. 

6. Then I painted with a small paint brush. It started out pretty skinny and I wasn't LOVING the look. I ended up going back and making the letters thicker and liked it much more after that. 


7. I haven't gotten to this step yet and I'm not sure if I will do it... Lastly you can take a piece of sand paper and lightly rub over the surface for a more worn look. I think it will look good, but I'm worried I might not like it. 

Here is Laura's finished product! I love hers so much too! Love the colors together. 

Overall- Very fun and pretty basic DIY craft. I plan on putting mine in Baby Ole's room as a decoration piece. 

No comments: