Friday, November 18, 2011

A flight to remember...

I had the opportunity to do something I’d never done before. My Commander Col LaBrecque asked me last week if I wanted to go on an incentive ride up in New Hampshire. (An incentive ride is an opportunity for cadets, airmen, officers and family members to hop on an Air Force Aircraft and experience what pilots and flight crews do for our Air Force.) A few years back I had the opportunity to ride in an F-16, so knowing what an amazing opportunity this would be I jumped at the chance!! Today’s ride was in a “Heavy”; (aka. a big plane) a KC-135 Stratotanker.
The name pretty much gives it away, it’s great big tanker/re-fueler but this isn’t any ordinary re-fueler. These guys, and girls, don’t pump gas sitting still on the flight-line... they re-fuel friendly birds moving at speeds in upwards of 600 MPH. They can re-fuel just about anything... other “Heavies” like the C-5 or C-17 to the “Fighters” F-22, F-16, A-10 and they can even re-fuel helicopters and CV-22’s (aka “The Osprey”). They can re-fuel Air Force, Navy, Marine, Army and Coast Guard birds.

When soldiers and Marines are on the ground in do or die need of close air support they depend on F-16’s, A-10s and F-22s to reign down fire from above! But these fighters can only provide that cover as long as their tanks will last...and when they’re yanking and banking with full after-burners engaged that Jet Fuel (JP-8) doesn’t last long! Now...bring in the stratotankers and it’s a whole new ball game! Just ask the bad guys :)

Well, I think you get the picture... but just in case you don’t, here’s a few pictures and videos I snapped today in the air! My favorite is the very last one... the F-16 who just finished filling up pulls up on our wing, showing the KC-135 pilots his thanks and appreciation... then... in the blink of an eye, he’s back down in the fight.... (or would be in a real world situation...) funny thing is, it reminded me of a little maneuver the F-16 pilot I was riding with did... just before I called ralph on the big phone (AKA: Threw up)!!!

-enough from me... blue skies!!

-brent, Lis.... and Moxy ;)

1 comment:

Lindsey,Alyssa and Carly said...

Cool Bubs! That was pretty neat!! We all enjoyed watching it a few times.. glad you posted. Thanks!

Proud of you little brother...

Love you, your big Sis. xox