Saturday, October 3, 2009

Made it home....barely.

Well Thursday was the day of travel. Leaving the love of my life, and Mox's first airplane ride. I was ready to just relax on the plane because Wednesday was full of baking goodies for Brents cooler, canceling our cable and internet, cleaning the house up so when we get back in three months it is welcoming and not scary, and packing!

Thursday we get to the airport and things are good. So far things are on time. Mox made it through security well and was being such a good dog! Then, flight delayed one hour..... flight delayed two hours... now I am going to miss my connecting flight from Minneapolis to Bemidji. Wait... word just in, they canceled that flight. UGH! So the lady put me on the next flight out which wasn't until 10:30pm!!

We got into MSP around 3pm after circling the airport for an hour, bouncing off one cloud to the next.

Now there were 7 hours to sit and wait for the flight. Thankfully, me being a wife to Military, I was able to hang out in the USO room. Its a "club" for military and they serve you free food, drink, big screen tv, couches, beds, internet... just a really nice set up!

So we went to our gate about 2 hours early because we wanted to make sure we get on this flight! It's raining and the weather isn't looking good. (I might add that our earlier flight was canceled due to one of MSP's run way's was out of service.)

10:30 rolls around and the plane had not even left it's last destination... So... we wait... wait... the plane is not coming... 11:30 they say they are going to fly us into TRF and take a bus to Bemidji. Ok-- that gets us a little closer.... 12am. Sorry, but there will be no flight out. The next available flight from MSP to Bemidji is Saturday. Let me remind you it is thursday!!! (there were no flights into trf, ifalls, grand forks, fargo until Saturday) Delta/Northwest didn't give us any vouchers to eat or stay in a hotel! Terrible service on their part.

Meanwhile... My mom had been in Bemidji since 4pm when we were SUPPOSE to arrive. 12am she finds out we will not be making it home, and won't be until saturday if we wait for the flight. So she hits the road to come get me. I go up to the USO to get a little sleep so I can drive us home.

5:30am my mom arrives to the MSP airport. Bless her heart for driving all through the night- alone, in the dark, raining. She's the best! So we meet up and hit the road back. Thankfully I felt pretty good to drive so I drove the whole way home while mom caught up on sleep every now and then. But the bog road we were both pretty tired...

Mox and I spent 22 hours in an airport and a total travel time of 30 hours. Trust me, it wasn't funny at the time, but now that I'm back home safely and Mox was such a good boy the whole time... it is a story I will never forget!

However, Delta/Northwest will be getting a letter from me! You can be sure of that... I should be getting something out of this whole deal. I paid extra to fly into bemidji and they didn't do it. And I had to find a different way of transportation, which meant mom driving through the night and the gas and miles to do so. A lot of people spent $300 on rental cars! Plus the fee for Mox to fly (which isn't cheap) .. I think I have a few good points for them.

Just happy to be home.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Sounds terrible, and your mom sounds like a saint for driving through the night!! Hope that you are feeling a little rested now, and go for it on the letter! :) Can't wait to hear the update! :)