Monday, June 17, 2013

Welcome to the World Ellis!!

I just said to Brent, I need to blog... I haven't even mentioned Ellis yet and he's four days old!! His response, "It's not like you haven't been busy!"... I know, I know, but I don't want to miss sharing his welcoming into the world before I start blogging about other exciting events that come up in our lives including him. Here is how our day began: 

4am I was up. I knew this would be my last chance to shower for maybe a couple days. I had been up probably 10 times in the five hours of sleep I actually did get before the big day. So much was going through my mind the few nights before the big day. How would the procedure go? What would my baby look like? Will he be healthy? How will I do with recovery? the list went on and on.... 

This was my last bump picture with Ellis on the INSIDE!  We were riding the elevator up!
After some paper work I checked in with the nurses and they got me all changed, hooked up to IV's, blood taken, etc. We were there about an hour or so watching ESPN while we waited for Dr. Thomas to arrive. At one point the nurse talked about people coming in for a c-section and their baby had turned and they were told to go home. At that very moment I thought, I almost hope he still is breech so we aren't sent home after anticipating this day for so long now! He hadn't moved a bit! ;-)

Doctor Thomas arrived and we walked to the c-section room! CRAZY.... here we go!!
First things first, they aren't lying when they tell you it's FREEZING in those rooms!! Brr.. I jumped up on the table and next step was to get my epidural in my back.... Thankfully they had numbed the shot area before sticking the long needle in. I honestly don't remember the feeling of it because at this point, Brent wasn't with me and I was nervous. Quickly after the shot I felt the numb trickle down my left leg, and then my right, ending in my bum region. It wasn't until I was laid down flat that I felt it in my belly. As I laid there I was completely aware and knew I still had limbs... the numbing didn't take that away, but as she rubbed the yellow yuck on my stomach I could see her doing it, but couldn't feel it... so strange. But-- this did make me thankful for the placement of the catheter! Also, your completely exposed. Remember how I told you Dr. Thomas was right to the point and didn't fluff things?? She explained to me at our last appt what would happen and that they would spread eagle me and insert the cathider... she wasn't lying... I pretended that no one could see that happening even though the room had 7 people in it plus two students! Ugh- Hope I don't ever run into them in the grocery store! ;-)

The curtain went up and honestly, after that I couldn't tell WHAT was going on. The doctors were talking mainly to each other and I kept looking at Brent. My mouth had gotten SOOOOO DRY during this part that it was almost hard to breath. I kept licking my lips hoping that would help but my tongue was so dry. (Side effects from the meds.)
Like I said, I didn't know when things started and I didn't know that he was "Out" until Brent said so and finally I heard him cry. I heard my son CRY! Aww... He's here... he's breathing... he's ours.

Dad was pretty proud and from this moment on didn't let Ellis out of his sight. Ellis and Brent left to the nursery to do measurements and clean him up as Dr. Thomas finished up my surgery. I was given internal staples (that I could hear being stapled-gross) they will eventually dissolve and then they I assume glued me together with something and covered the skinny 6 inch incision with starry strips. After surgery I was wheeled to the recovery room. At this point my mouth was so dry all I could think about is getting some WATER... I couldn't have water so they hooked me up with ice chips. I was also pretty doped up with morphine from everything that I couldn't keep my eyes open for the whole first two hours after Ellis's arrival. Brent popped back and forth to check on the both of us but because I was a sleepy mess I told him to just stay with Ellis, I would be fine and see them soon!
Brent hung out with Ellis as he happily allowed the professionals to do the work they needed on him. He DID paint his cord purple with sterile stuff. ;-) Proud papa for sure!
Finally I was wheeled into our room that we would be in for the next couple days. Shortly there after the door opened and in walked my beautiful baby boy and his daddy pushing him along. :) We had done it! Our little blessing had made it safely into the world, Mama was still a little drowsy, and daddy was a great nurse for both of our needs! 
We stayed in the hospital Friday Night and Saturday Night. On our Saturday night Ellis opened BOTH of his eyes in the dark room! We had seen a few peaks here and there with one eye, but he was starting to actually open them. So amazing! :)

Sunday was father's day. What's a better father's day gift than bringing your first born home???? 

This was also Ellis's first day in "real clothes". I was given advice from Dr. Thomas to use the hospital stuff because that way if it gets ruined it's not yours. (poo, spit up, blood, etc.) Good advice! :) This cute little outfit came from Auntie Jill Martinson and crew! One of his many "Crabby" outfits... but he wasn't crabby at all. He's such a good and happy baby! 
We had Aunt Nora stop by the hospital to visit and also Erica Sardina. We did a lot of skype dates with family and we were so thankful for that technology to make it possible!! 

Before leaving the hospital for the big adventure home, we had to snap a family picture. 


Dad was pretty excited to get this little man home. We missed home and he also missed his bed. He slept on this hard little pull out chair both nights. He was such a trooper to stay with us. But like he said, there was no where else he'd rather be than with us. ;-) He's so great. So we buckled him into the car seat, did our check out paperwork, was wheel chaired down to the car and we were off towards home. We did make two stops at CVS and Walgreens on the way home, but finally we got home to introduce Ellis to his "Puppy Brother".

I didn't take pictures of there meeting, but I did take a short video. Basically, Mox was so curious what this was! He was sniffing out Ellis big time and was happy and excited. But after that he was content with the fact that his brother was finally here. We can tell he knows things are different, and he's been pretty great around Ellis as far as keeping his distance. They will be great together. 

Last night was our first night home. Ellis was probably up three times during the night to eat and get a diaper change. I did stay up with him from probably 5am- until 9:30 when Brent got up. Brent was such a trooper the past few days and I knew he was so exhausted and needed the sleep so rather than bug him for help I just let him sleep.  Once he got up he ran some errands for us while Ellis and I stayed home. Yesterday was a big day and I had a few times where I moved wrong and it KILLED my incision, however, I can say today it already is feeling a little better. So I'm happy to see slow improvement happening. Can't wait to get back into normal feeling/shape. 

Tonight we gave Ellis his first bath... now in my mind I thought about taking pictures and documenting it, blah blah, blah... what a joke. He hated it... he doesn't like to be naked and doesn't like to be cold in this AC.... so as I wash cloth washed him, Brent followed behind drying him... He was pooped after that whole thing and looking back there wasn't a point or real desire to photograph this moment! ;-) 

We've had a lot of really nice messages come through, flowers at the hospital, packages in the mail, and the start of meals being delivered. Last night we had Jan Irvine bring us a delicious pulled pork sandwich meal along with a bunch of sides... it was so yummy. Tonight my Uncle Joe dropped of a lasagna to cook when we needed it and a tray of brownies. (Uncle Joe and I LOVE brownies) shortly after that delivery Erica dropped off Mexican food from our favorite little mexican place. We've been spoiled by those around us and we're so grateful! I do have to give Brent a TON of credit. For the man who said, I will not be changing diapers... He's been part of all of them except one! Even attempted one on his own today that ended up being a huge blow out that he needed help with and I was happy to assist. He's been a great nurse to both of us, running all over the house to get us what we need, being a sturdy point to help me get in and out of bed, he's just all over amazing and I'm so blessed for him and all he's done. I'm so thankful to the air force that they give these men 10 days of paid leave. It's so great to have his help especially this first week. 

Overall- we are completely in love and consumed by this little boy... I can't believe he's ours. A little bit of Brent and a little bit of me! God has truly blessed us!! So much to be thankful for!!!! 

1 comment:

Lindsey,Alyssa and Carly said...

I,m so glad every thing went well. I felt over whelmed when eddy was born and I couldn't believe he was all ours. he looks like a sweet little boy. cant wait to hold him and cuddle with him. love you guys so much ALYSSA