Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Last day at Diamond



Yesterday was my last day at Diamond Middle School. 180 great days! I've had a lot of great jobs along the way but so far, this was the best. I loved working with the ADHD kids, loved working with my co-workers, loved having the same schedule as school kids. Just loved it all around. I will miss this place so much and feel so blessed to have had the opportunity to work there. The last day was a half day for everyone. We wrapped things up in all classrooms, had fun, played games, watched movies and enjoyed each other before summer break. One really neat thing that happened was five minutes before the 6th and 7th graders were excused for summer the 8th graders (and graduates) were excused five minutes early and the teachers who didn't have class or had 8th graders lined up on both sides of the big sidewalk leaving the school and cheered for the 8th graders as they left. It was a really nice touch. 

Anyways- both teachers and students gave me gifts that I wasn't expecting AT ALL! I was floored and felt so humble by their kind words and gifts of appreciation towards me. 

This necklace was made by the 6th grade English teacher I was with each day. She makes her own jewelry and always has the cutest stuff~! She had a necklace similar to this on a few months ago and I commented on how much I liked it. Reminds me of fishing tackle, which reminds me of back home. So she totally surprised me and made me my very own!!! I was so excited and so thankful that she took the time to make that for me. 

Another students mother also makes jewelry and made me a beautiful pair of earrings! 
This is a note from a mother and her son. This last half of the year I started working one on one with Will. He had been struggling with math and wasn't getting the attention he needed in his math classroom. Once a week Will and I shared a block together to work on math. He's a really bright kid. 
Although this card came with a gift card, all I would have needed was the kind words written by both Will's mom and him .


Lastly, this card was from my supervisor I worked with every day. Ginny was awesome. She was so kind, thoughtful, understanding and we shared a lot of laughs. She is also the first person I've ever met that was so much like myself. (Eating habits, health history, likes and dislikes.) I can't explain enough how great she was to me. 


It was bitter/sweet to be done. Closing of a great chapter of my life only to open another chapter in Florida. :) 

No comments: