Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Restricted Blog

Jill O.'s blog freaked me out a little bit and then I looked into it to find the story she was probably talking about. Basically how unsafe a blog really can be to all of those weirdo's out there on the Internet. I share with you on the blog things Brent and I do, enjoy, live, our family and friends. So I have changed my viewing status so only people I invite are able to read the blog. It isn't open to just anyone anymore. So, if you hear that someone can't read my blog let me know so I can add them to my "readers list" and they will be able to access my blog again. Sorry to make things a little inconvenient, but safety is very important!

If you have not read Jill O.s blog read this news story below.

Are Blogs Dangerous?
The Olamide Adeyooye case is highlighting a relatively new fad called web-blogging, but it also highlights the dangers of putting very personal information on the Internet.
Posted: 5:38 PM Nov 3, 2005
Reporter: Wade Phillips

Before she was kidnapped and before she was killed and her body burned in a chicken house in Newton County, Olamide Adeyooye was simply a student. And like many people her age, she had a weblog, an online journal that people all over the world could access, full of personal information like where she lived, where she went to school and where she worked.

Police in Illinois now consider her blog evidence. They say whoever killed her might have used it to access that personal information.

It highlights a trend that might be dangerous, having too many people know too much information about someone.

"You want to limit what you're going to say, especially private information," said Justin Clark of MyDesktopHelp.com.

Olamide had not left anything as private as a social security number or a bank account number, but by reading her blog, you could know an awful lot about her. Her likes and dislikes, her daily routine, where she lived. They were all there, and Clark says you might want to think twice before putting anything like that on your own blog.

"It's really a personal decision, what are you comfortable with somebody knowing, and can that information be used to take advantage of you," said Clark.

No comments: